Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Smocked Flower Dress

I made this so the girl would have something to wear after the wedding she flower girled in last weekend. This idea came from an Australian smocking magazine. I don't remember the name of the pattern... I'll post it when I get back home. The smocking pattern is also from the same magazine, just a different dress. This is also the first time I've attempted an English hem with the fold. I love the way it turned out, but it took a lot of effort with a ruler and the iron to accomplish.







Instructions for the lined sleeves (attach sleeves after neck and shoulder, but before side seams):
1. Cut out one fabric and one lining. Add piping to outer edge of right side of fabric edge if desired.
2. Sandwich fabric, piping, and lining, rst. Stitch along outer edge. Turn and check piping... I always have to make another pass.
3. Gather raw edges of sleeve fabric and lining, then stitch sleeve (lining and fabric) to shoulder seam, being careful not to catch lining of bodice.
4. Align armhole fabric and lining RST with the sleeve INSIDE of the shoulder - lining stuff is always sooo weird!
5. Stitch armhole seam, then pull fabric through. Voila! Repeat for other arm.

4 comments:

Jnet said...

That sleeve sounds so easy -- I was just looking at "how did you get that piping on there" and then scrolled down...you sure are good at all of that classic looking smocking...Nice work Tracy

Tracy A. said...

Thanks, Jnet! I learned from the Master!

Anonymous said...

I am impressed, too. The smocking looks professional. I am amazed that human hands can do that! I miss you!
-jess

Tracy A. said...

Well, hi, Jess! No different than suturing... at least fabric doesn't spontaneously start bleeding. And when I get tired, I can stop! You, my dear, must press on! No comparison... you got the short end of the stick!! Miss you, too!