Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bobbie Bubble and Accessories

I was commissioned to make this for a friend. It's a Children's Corner pattern (Bobbie Bubble) and I love it! I added the draw ties under the arms for "flair". And no baby is complete without accessories. Matching hairbow and cloth booties. This is some fantastic Michael Miller fabric from Debra at Palmetto Kids. It's super soft!

Baseball PJ pants

I made the boys (my boy and a friend boy) matching baseball pants. T-ball is just around the corner!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Clothes for Kit

Although it's not EXACTLY the same (the girl was quick to point out that Kit's isn't smocked), it's EXACTLY the same FABRIC. :D

Australian Smocking Magazine Pattern - Toffee Apple

This pattern was in Australian Smocking & Embroidery, Issue 81. It's super cute and super easy. The pattern needed to be altered a little. They used facing, and I wanted it lined, and they had actual shoulder straps, and I wanted ribbon. Also, they used rick rack instead of the piping, which is REALLY cute, but I couldn't find rick rack that matched, so I was forced to make piping. I also added a machine embroidered accent to the hem of the capris.

Homemade Cakesters!

I found this FANTASTIC idea at If you've never been to her site, you have GOT to check it out!! She made a similar "cakester" using Red Velvet cake for V-day. I used Butter Fudge Recipe cake mix and a homemade buttercream icing recipe that I found on her site, too. It's out of this world!

Ingredients and Directions:

1 pkg cake mix
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 eggs

Beat eggs and butter, then add cake mix. Spoon mixture (or to ensure uniform cookies, use a small ice cream scoop). Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Buttercream Icing
1/2 cup butter (softened)
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 t. vanilla
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
1-3 T. milk (if needed, as needed)
**For chocolate, add 1/2 cup dark powdered cocoa**

Beat butter and cream cheese, then add vanilla. Slowly add sugar and continue mixing until smooth. You'd add cocoa now if you were making the chocolate icing. You can also add milk if the icing is too dense for your liking.

Once the cookies have cooled, simply plop a dollop of icing in the middle and add the top cookie. Smoosh to perfection!

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Matching Outfits

My friend and I got together yesterday and had a blast making some outfits for her daughters. They're just simple A-Line dresses with capris. We shortened the length of the dress and added a ruffle, then added a matching ruffle to the capris. I think they'll look adorable (when it finally warms up enough to wear them!). Ruffle Tip: Cut double the width of the ruffle and seam allowance, and instead of hemming it, fold the ruffle (wrong sides together) and gather BOTH raw edges, then attach ruffle to bottom of dress (and lining). Saves an enormous amount of time! No one likes hemming!

Monday, February 16, 2009

A new outfit for the boy

The girl is always gettin' new stuff, so today it was the boys' turn!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chiffon Ballerina Skirt

If you've ever tried working with chiffon, you know it is a royal pain in the rear! I'd bought some a few months ago because it was only $1.44/yd and I figured I could certainly come up with a ballerina skirt cheaper than the $15 they charge at the ballerina store.

Attempt #1 was a disaster. I had to come up with a new plan. One that didn't involve hemming! This is what I came up with...

I just doubled the length of the skirt that I wanted and folded it over. Both ends are at the top. I serged and stitched them, then turned the seam inward, and stitched another seam again (this one for the elastic casing. I fed the elastic through and french seamed the ends together.

It turned out just like I wanted! All for about $0.40!

Monday, February 9, 2009

Book Covers

I wanted to try a new "recipe" that I found!

I don't know why I can't make this a hyperlink... you'll have to ctrl C then ctrl V...

Danish Woven Hearts

I found a video for this craft idea. It uses the same familiar concept of making Danish woven heart baskets, but instead of using paper, you use fabric. I had to soak the fabric in glue/water to stiffen it. The girl wanted them to be purses, so she stitched the side seams on the machine.

Here's the link:

Sunday, February 8, 2009

My very first quilting attempt

I wanted to see if I could do it. That's usually how my projects come about. The boy asked for a bed for "Power Rangers" his Webkinz, so I figured I could come up with something "bed-like". I didn't use a pattern... well, I tried. Originally, this was to be a pinwheel quilt job, but those pinwheels, well, they're hard and confusing. So, this arose, instead! He loves it, and that's all that matters. I had to learn how to miter corners - need to practice.

Getting a head start on summer!

This is the "Hallie" top that I posted earlier. It's smocked with chevrons across the front. I added a ruffle to the hem to close up the lining, so this top is completely lined - the smocking back is hidden! I wanted to make some shorts to match it... they have a ruffle, too.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Here's a new pattern I tried. It's a Children's Corner pattern called "Mary De". I absolutely love it! It crosses in the back and closes with 2 buttons situated horizontally. I actually shortened the top - it's supposed to be a dress!Ahh, and more ruffle pants!

Busy smocking

Here's that dress for my daughter's friend. The smocking turned out pretty good. I really like the lace trim. It makes it look old-fashioned, and in my opinion, smocking only works one of two ways... either old-fashioned or totally retro. There's really no in between!