Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chiffon Ballerina Skirt

If you've ever tried working with chiffon, you know it is a royal pain in the rear! I'd bought some a few months ago because it was only $1.44/yd and I figured I could certainly come up with a ballerina skirt cheaper than the $15 they charge at the ballerina store.

Attempt #1 was a disaster. I had to come up with a new plan. One that didn't involve hemming! This is what I came up with...

I just doubled the length of the skirt that I wanted and folded it over. Both ends are at the top. I serged and stitched them, then turned the seam inward, and stitched another seam again (this one for the elastic casing. I fed the elastic through and french seamed the ends together.

It turned out just like I wanted! All for about $0.40!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this and have seen something similar once, inside the dress (pocket) they placed (loosely) the silk flower parts of fake flowers, and it looked so cute and so spring. They moved around freely and the girls loved to spin and bounce in them.