Monday, September 6, 2010

Cake Practice

Wow! It's been a while!! We moved across the country - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

The kids' birthdays are right around the corner. I let the kids pick out the cakes they wanted from the local grocery store. $40 a piece! Yeah, so I'm making their cakes this year. (Unless Super Cyndi wants to fly out and be on cake duty.)

I've always wanted to be a great cake decorator, but I must give props to those that can do it. It's HARD! Steady hand is necessary, and I just don't have it.

This is my first attempt with rolled fondant. I've played with marshmallow fondant. It's fun, but not quite as classy (looks powdery).

This cake is just a yellow cake mix with the Wilton buttercream icing recipe on top. Rolled fondant on top of buttercream icing. I also added a few drops of almond extract to the fondant, since fondant is actually pretty gross.

The key is to stick the cake in the freezer for about 45 minutes between each step. (bake, freeze cooled cake, apply icing, freeze, smooth icing with hot knife, freeze, apply fondant, freeze, apply decorations, done!)



No comments: