Monday, December 15, 2008

Walker Organizer Pattern and Tutorial

This is so easy! I wanted to post a tutorial... Here it is!!


Materials Needed for 2 organizers:
1 yard of fabric
Thread to match
10 inches of hook and loop tape (SEW-ON!!)


Step 1 - Lay 1 yard of fabric out (the way it comes off of the bolt - do not refold)



Step 2 - Cut fabric lengthwise right down the middle! You'll end up with 2 pieces of fabric doubled over approximately 1 yard long and about 11-12 inches wide, depending on the original length of the fabric.



Step 3 - Right sides together, sew along the edges leaving a 3" opening for turning. Clip corners.



Step 4 - Turn.



Step 5 - Press.



Step 6 - Align hook and loop tape about 9 inches apart. The fuzzy and the loop sides should both be on the SAME side of the fabric. This will be the flap that wraps around the bar. Pin and sew.



Step 7 - Turn fabric over (velcro side DOWN). Fold bottom of fabric up about 16", then fold the top back toward the bottom about 8". Then fold back up toward the top about 3". You're creating the pockets by sandwiching the fabric on top of itself.



The final folded fabric should look similar to this:



Step 8 - Sew the pen pockets into the smallest, top pocket. Sew ONLY into the TOP 2 layers - do NOT sew through entire thickness!! Then sew along side seams through all layers. Be sure the flap at the top is OPEN - you don't want to accidently sew the flap closed!



Give it a final pressing and it's ready to go!!

3 comments:

Jnet said...

These are very nice, I think it would be fun to do them with two coordinating colors also. You totally made this up yourself? if so, I think this is really cool! is it on craftster yet? I'm going over there right now to see.

Tracy A. said...

I did make it up! I couldn't find exactly what I wanted online, so I just played with some fabric and came up with this... I knew it had to be SUPER easy (I made 12!) and I didn't want the pockets to be too big!

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to see your talent with my first love --the sewing machine! I enjoy dropping by every chance i get to see what's new and what's going on.

Happy New Year
all my Love
Nana

btw--what is a walker organizer? for elderly walkers? or baby walkers? fitness walkers?