Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pillow with Picture Frame



Ooh, I found this idea in a kids' craft idea book. Isn't it darling? I wanted to try it out to make sure it was as easy as it looked, and indeed it is! The girl is going to make them as gifts for Valentine's day.

It's just 2 large squares cut with pinking shears (no need to turn/press/hand sew!).

On the top square, add a coordinating fabric square (I used a toilet paper square as a guide... no joke!) and an acetate cover to make the frame. What is acetate, you ask? Beats me! I used a report slip - those plastic paper covers you get at Staples. You can get about 8-12 out of one folder.

I sewed the ribbon frame on the plastic first, then sewed 3 sides onto the coordinating fabric. Embellish to your liking, then sew onto pillow top (be sure you don't close up the picture frame!).

Sew the pillow squares along the edge (WST) leaving a nice wide seam allowance. Leave a section wide enough for stuffing - stuff, and close it up!

Add a picture and voila!

No comments: